Wednesday, October 14, 2015

Everyone Has Those Days

Those days when you feel like giving up are some of the hardest ones you can experience as a nurse. Usually caused by short staffing and a multiplicity of circumstances that lead to you having a hard day, discouragement can often try to bring you down and take your eyes from why you came here in the first place. A few days ago I had one of these days. I was over-stressed and had a lot of things going on simultaneously with my patients. I was on the brink of tears by the time 3:45 pm rolled around I hadn't had lunch yet. When I finally got lunch, I asked the Lord for His grace to do whatever came next when I walked out the door of our break room. Even after lunch, I still faced difficulties, but something was different. I was not as stressed by them. The Lord had given me the peace that prevailed in every circumstance (Phil. 4:7).

Later when I got in my car to go home, I unconsciously took a big sigh of relief. It had not been an easy day, but as I sat in my driver's seat pondering all that had taken place, I was reminded of the goodness of our God. He had helped me get through the day. It was by His grace, not my ability, that all my patients were taken care of (2 Cor. 12:9).

I want to encourage all the nurses and nursing students reading this blog to remember where our strength comes from--He is the source of our peace, our joy, and the grace we need every day. I was reminded this morning of a verse in Lamentations which says God's mercies are "new every morning" (3:23). Before our feet hit the floor on our next shift, let's take a moment and thank God for His faithfulness and the strength He is going to give us to be the nurses He's called us to be (2 Pt. 1:3).

"Cast your cares on the LORD and he will sustain you; he will never let the righteous be shaken." ~Ps. 55:22

No comments:

Post a Comment