Tuesday, January 14, 2014

I Shall Fear No Evil

This morning I undertook the task of re-memorizing Psalm 23, a chapter I learned when I was 6. After reading it a few times, I decided to turn it into a prayer of thanksgiving to God. It was only after doing this that my heart was impacted by the magnitude of His love and grace toward me, His child.

The LORD, the Great I AM, the Lord of Angel Armies, is my Shepherd, and He takes care of my needs so that I do not lack anything (Psalm 23:1). He not only gives me the peace I need to rest (John 14:27), but He makes me take a break and lie down like sheep in green pastures (Psalm 23:2a). He leads His sheep, His Church, by still waters--waters I can drink from and not be swept away (Psalm 23:2b). He again is protecting me from danger as a Good Shepherd would. He restores my soul when my spirit is weak and exhausted (Psalm 23:3a); He imparts new joy. I am continually able to rejoice in His mercies, which are new every morning (Lamentations 3:22-24)! 

Even though I do not know the future or the path that my feet will take, I can trust that God will lead me in the path of righteousness in order to bring His name honor and glory (Psalm 23:3b). And even if the path I take brings me right into the valley of death, I shall fear no evil because my God--who created the valley--is with me and will lead me through to the other side in safety (Psalm 23:4). I know that God is my Salvation; I will trust Him (Isaiah 12:2) and not fear the enemy who stalks in darkness (Psalm 91:6). In fact, the Lord blesses me even when I am in the presence of my enemies (Psalm 23:5).

Truly, it is good to follow the Lord! He takes such great care of His people, the sheep of His pasture (Psalm 100:3). He causes us to experience His goodness and mercy every day of our lives (Psalm 23:6). And when our time on earth is fulfilled, we will dwell with Christ in the house He has prepared for us forever (John 14:3). Praise the Lord for His continual faithfulness and mercy!    

No comments:

Post a Comment