Sunday, August 18, 2013

Wisdom & Discernment: Hidden Treasures

“It is the glory of God to conceal a matter, But the glory of kings is to search out a matter” (Proverbs 25:2, NASB).

Have you ever considered the privilege we have as nursing students at Liberty to learn the wonders of the human body so that we may be prepared to take care of the precious people in the hospital who are our patients? I know it's easy to begin to dread beginning school again as we read over our syllabi and realize the magnitude of the task at hand, but in reality we should be excited about the great adventure ahead. 

I LOVE learning, but even I sometimes don't enjoy the work that goes along with school. It's in those times that I need a reminder of my end goal—being the best nurse I can be. My desire to do my very best is the motivating power that spurs me on to study even when I’d rather be doing something else. Thinking about the lives of my patients and how complicated their medical conditions can be motivates me to not only study what’s assigned but to search out new knowledge about the vast array of conditions that affect patients (e.g. sick sinus syndrome, Haw River syndrome, Tokotsubo cardiomyopathy, etc.).


According to Solomon, wisdom and discretion are life for our souls and keep our feet from stumbling (Proverbs 3:13-27). This is especially true in the medical field because without the right knowledge we will flounder and will not be able to provide exceptional care for our patients. With that in mind, this school year let’s search for wisdom and discernment as hidden treasure and CHOOSE to enjoy learning (Proverbs 2:1-4). 

No comments:

Post a Comment