Sunday, January 27, 2013

Wholeheartedness


When school first began a couple of weeks ago, I struggled with not feeling like my heart was in what I was doing. I felt like I hadn’t even had a break even though I spent three weeks at home relaxing and spending time with my family. That said, while I was reading 2 Chronicles for my Bible intensive, I came across this passage in chapter 31, verses 20-21:

Thus Hezekiah did throughout all Judah, and he did what was good and right and faithful before the LORD his God. And every work that he undertook in the service of the house of God and in accordance with the law and the commandments, seeking his God, he did with all his heart, and prospered.

The context of this verse is that King Hezekiah had been restoring the order of the Temple of God in Jerusalem. He had cleansed the land of evil things and led the nation of Judah in revival, turning their hearts away from idols and back to Jehovah. What is remarkable is not only that he did this, but that he did it “with all his heart” (vs. 21). Not only did he keep the commandments of the Lord, but he sought the Lord unreservedly. Because of this, the Lord prospered Him.

This is a reminder to me that whatever I do, even the littlest things, I should do with all my heart just as Hezekiah did “every work” with his whole heart (vs. 21). I believe if we choose to do our assignments and the tasks the Lord has given us wholeheartedly, God will bless us just as He blessed Hezekiah for his faithfulness. We see this is true many places in Scripture. One that comes to mind is Matthew 6:33 which says, “But seek first the kingdom of God and his righteousness, and all these things will be added to you”. As the semester continues, let’s keep in mind the promises of God and the lessons we can learn from the lives of the men and women of God who have gone before us. 

No comments:

Post a Comment